Ostrica - Ostrea
Ostrea (common name oyster) is a genus of bivalve molluscs with a round shell covered with wavy scaly lamellae. Oysters Ostreidae Ostrica mollusco bivalve intotheblue.it
The two valves are unequal and the lower one, to which the animal is anchored, is larger and more hollow than the upper one. The mollusk has a rounded body, with the edges of the two fringed edges of the coat. It lives in all the seas of Europe at low depths, clinging to rocks or other solid bodies.
Some oysters, mainly the species of the oriental seas, produce pearls.
- Ostrea conchaphila (Carpenter, 1857)
- Ostrea cristata (Born, 1778)
- Ostrea edulis (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Ostrea equestris (Say, 1834)
- Ostrea lurida (Carpenter, 1864)
- Ostrea megadon (Hanley, 1846)
- Ostrea sandvicensis